Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Squeezing My Mind Grapes

Please allow me to present the gifted neurosurgeon Scott Shapiro. Dr. Shapiro is the Robert L. Campbell Professor of Neurological Surgery at Indiana University and Chief of Neurosurgery for Wishard Health Services. (Photo: Lee Ann Harper, Partners in Housing Development Corporation)

Dr. Shapiro resected, i.e. removed, my tumor on July 12, 2007, and met with Lee Ann and me today (Sept. 24) to talk about my surgical options this time around.

If you are a fan of Lance Armstrong, or just top notch brain surgery, Shapiro is the neurosurgeon who in 1996 removed Armstrong's two brain tumors and was later featured in Armstrong's book, It's Not About the Bike.

Tomorrow, we're off to the National Institutes of Health's National Cancer Institute's Neuro-Oncology Branch (say that five times fast) seeking more knowledge...things they would not teach us off in college.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Terry and LeeAnn- Cheers for the surgeon and especially you and yours. You are all stepping up to the plate for this. Going for the best neurosurgeon, caregivers for yourself Terry, and hanging in is essential, yes? Along with great support. You know, I believe the chanting monks- or concentrated prayer, if you will- is not at all ridiculous. So, here's chanting for you, kid. Patricia Waters

Anonymous said...

I am praying all the best of you and your family.I am admire your strong spirit! Hnag in there Terry. Akko, Momoko and Hannah from Japan

SallyB said...

Hang in their, favorite cousin Terry! Listen to some good Gregorian Chant (may I recommend the wildly popular CD, "Chant" by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos - a fabulous album that lulls you into a deeply meditative state...a real stress buster, even if you're not Catholic!).

I have heard it said that this kind of music has its own healing energy, and I believe it. Give it a try - heck, at this stage of the game, it can't hurt. Please know that you're daily in my thoughts and what passes for "prayers". Here's sending some good healing energies your way, cousin!

Love, your cousin in Ohio,
~Sally